One affordable way to freshen up the interior of your home is by painting some of the rooms and you may even decide on different colours. Whether this is your first time or you’ve done it before you want to wind up with professional looking results. We’ve listed 5 tips to help make the project go smoothly and paint like a pro.
- Remove furniture. While you might be tempted to pile furniture in the centre of the room it can make it a lot harder. Avoid the risk of spilled or spattered paint ruining wood or upholstered furniture by emptying the room into another area of the home if possible. If you don’t have a big enough space consider renting a container or storage unit until the work is complete.
- Protect floors. Area rugs can be rolled up and removed but you want to protect hardwood floors and wall to wall carpet with drop cloths. Professionals use canvas drop cloths or even better are butyl backed cloths that prevent any paint on the soles of shoes from being tracked through the house. Opting for plastic drop sheets that puncture easily and shift underfoot won’t provide the same level of protection.
- Remove wall hangings. Maybe you think it’s a time saver to leave wall hangings in place and paint around them. Not only is it time consuming to paint around paintings or clocks if they shift even slightly it’s going to show. Removing any paintings or clocks and store safely until you put them back in the room. If you decide on a new placement for hangings simply fill old nail holes and let dry before painting.
- Clean walls. Clean walls with mild detergent and water if you have heavier grime a solution of bleach and TSP is needed and remember to rinse well afterwards. Starting with a clean surface allows paint to adhere better and you’ll have professional looking results.
- Remove outlet and switch covers. Trying to avoid removing covers and you’ll wind up with visible brush strokes. Remember to remove all outlet and switch covers and be careful not to get paint on sockets or switches and not look like an amateur did the work. Use caution when these covers are absent if you have young children and replace them as soon as possible.
After reading through this list you might decide you’re not ready to attempt your own project and decide to leave it to Victoria house painters. In Victoria contact us at Paintworks for all those projects you may have been putting off.